Coffee Tips (Espresso)
Discussing using home prosumer espresso machines with a co-worker and wrote up a summary of what I have learned over the years.
- Save your money and buy pre-ground Illy espresso... a grinder good enough for grinding espresso is very, very expensive and Illy, while expensive, is an excellent quality espresso ground perfectly for “prosumer” machines. Take some time to calculate how much “extra” you are paying for Illy per pound over a good coffee you would grind yourself. Then divide that into the cost of really good grinder (one you would not be disappointed with).
- Don't use the milk frother... buy a $10 – $40 milk frother that warms and “whisks” the milk on the countertop. Prosumer machines rarely froth milk efficiently and it's a pain to clean them...
- Fill the espresso basket until it is rounded over the top then apply 10lbs of force with the tamper... you can do this on a bathroom scale to get the force right... it only takes a few tries to figure it out... this gets a good pack for the slightly underpowered home machine normals can afford
- Penultimately, use “preinfusion”. Some prosumer models pre-infuse automatically but basically: run the water pu mp until you see a drip of espresso and then turn it off as fast as you can (quicker the better but I have had this work even after ¼ of the cup got extracted). Let it sit for say 20 -30 seconds, then turn the water back on... thi s produces WAY better espresso...
- And also finally, if making capucinno just make the coffee into a low coffee cup and pull more than an espresso shot, it's fine.
The espresso machine I use now is the Breville Cafe Roma: https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-Caf%C3%A9-Espresso-Machine- ESP8XL/dp/B0002VAFWA/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1528408112&sr=8-1&keywords=cafe+roma
The frother we are using is the Brewberry Electric Milk Frother & Heater, Stainless Steel: https://www.amazon.ca/Bre wberry-Electric-Frother-Heater-Stainless/dp/B01GQQZ64G/ref=sr17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1528408159&sr=1-7
Illy Espresso: https://www.amazon.ca/Ground-Espresso-Roast-Coffee-Packaging/dp/B007PDDDWC/ref=pd_sbs_325_2?_encoding =UTF8&pdrdi=B007PDDDWC&pdrdr=c9634abe-6a9c-11e8-8e75-010044d11cdd&pdrdw=1cR4k&pdrdwg=PowgZ&pfrdi=desktop-d p-sims&pfrdm=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pfrdp=3743643050606576516&pfrdr=2N8NNQHQJRDCC259SK06&pfrds=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd _t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2N8NNQHQJRDCC259SK06